Amish Chicken & Dumplings Recipe: Big Ole Bill's Pennsylvania Dutch-Style Chicken Pot Pie by Bill Heleine
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours (approximately)
Total Time: 2 hours
- 3 - 4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 8 - 9 cups chicken stock
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bag (12 to 16 ounces) baby carrots
- 5 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
Here's how to make it:
- Boil chicken thighs and onion in chicken stock in large covered pot until chicken is cooked and tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When finished remove chicken and remove skin and take out the bones.
- While chicken is cooking, cut vegetables and make dough. Mix flour, eggs and milk and 1 tablespoon of salt in a stand mixer. Add extra flour or milk if dough is too sticky or too dry. Dough should be a little sticky but still come away from mixing bowl. On floured surface roll out dough to about 1/8-inch thickness. Use a pizza cutter and cut into 2x2-inch squares.
- Add pepper and 1 tablespoon of salt to broth. (Add more or less salt and pepper, to taste, at this point.)
- Remove pot lid. Add celery to broth and sprinkle the dough with a small amount of flour. Add squares to broth a few at a time to avoid sticking. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 25 minutes on medium heat. Add potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes. Gently stir stew during cooking time occasionally to make sure squares don't stick to bottom.
- Add cut-up chicken and carrots to pot. Cook covered on low heat until carrots are tender. Broth should be thick like a stew when done. You can add small amounts of water if it becomes to thick while cooking.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.