Grandpa’s Old-Fashioned Apple Raisin Oatmeal Cake Brings Back Old World Flavors (and Memories) by Elisa Schmitz, 30Seconds
My father is from the former Yugoslavia, and I grew up eating Old World dishes created by my grandmother. After Grandma passed away, Dad, now a grandfather of five, has been trying to recreate her delicious recipes to bring back that old-fashioned goodness.
One of his favorite flavor combinations is apple-raisin, which Grandma used in a variety of cakes and cookies. In honor of my dad’s birthday, I made this nostalgic apple raisin oatmeal cake to bring back those Old World flavors (and memories) he craves. Hope this easy dessert recipe brings back all the feels for you, too.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 3 cups rolled oats (I used quick-cook oats)
- 1 cup flour
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 - 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 - 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 2 cups diced apples (I used honey crisp)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a 13x9-inch baking pan or glass baking dish (I sprayed mine with cooking spray first). Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool a bit before serving. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Rolled Oats $2 & Up
Quick Oats $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Light Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Baking Powder $1 & Up
Cinnamon $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Raisins $3 & Up
Walnuts $4 & Up
13x9-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.