Amazing 20-Minute Crispy Orange Chicken Recipe (Watch Out Trader Joe's) by Donna John
I like to keep a bag of Trader Joe's mandarin orange chicken in the freezer for busy nights. But being someone who likes to cook things from scratch I thought, how hard could it be to make something similar from fresh ingredients? Not hard at all! Enter this 20-minute crispy orange chicken that tastes like Trader Joe's!
This easy fried orange chicken recipe is crispy, juicy and has a sweet and flavorful sauce. You cook the chicken, heat up the sauce ingredients together and combine the two. This Asian recipe is on the table in about 20 minutes.
Chicken breasts are cut into bite-sized pieces and dredged in cornstarch and flour before being fried in a skillet until golden and crispy. The sweet and tangy orange sauce is made with orange juice, sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder, ground ginger and orange zest. The sauce is thickened with a little cornstarch. The crispy chicken pieces are coated in the sauce and serve. So easy and tasty!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (you could use boneless chicken thighs)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- You could add in some chopped onion, red pepper or your favorite vegetables.
- Make sure the oil is hot before frying the chicken.
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken pieces into a bowl. Add the egg and mix well to coat. Add the cornstarch and flour. Mix well to coat.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat (about 350 degrees F). Fry the chicken in batches until cooked through and golden brown. Remove to a paper towel.
- To make the orange sauce, combine the orange juice, sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder, ground ginger and orange zest in a saucepot. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes. When it boils, mix together the cornstarch and water and pour into the sauce to thicken.
- Put the chicken into a serving dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 7.8g
Saturated Fat: 0.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 61.1g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8g
Total Sugars: 41g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.