Vegetarian Tortellini "Shrimp" Scampi Recipe: You Don't Need Sea Critters to Enjoy This Classic Taste by Melissa Vickers
I learned something the other day (thank you, The New York Times!): scampi doesn’t mean the iconic garlicky butter sauce we know and love. Instead, scampi refers to a critter in the lobster family. Who knew?
Regardless of whether scampi is critter or sauce, the flavors are too good to only use on shrimp, or even anything in the animal kingdom. This vegetarian recipe has yellow squash, zucchini and mushrooms soaking up those good flavors. I made it even simpler by using a dry scampi seasoning package, and threw in tortellini and a few other things. Oh, my! Plenty for tonight’s leftovers, too.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 package (12 ounces) cheese and spinach tortellini, boiled for 9 minutes and drained (I used Barilla Collezione Cheese and Spinach Tortellini)
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package (.87 ounces) dry shrimp scampi seasoning (I used McCormick’s Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi Mix)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds or half moons
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds or half moons
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 ounces (or more) sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine (I used white cooking wine)
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large skillet, melt butter and mix with olive oil. Blend in scampi sauce package. Dump zucchini, squash, mushrooms and onion into the pan and cook until vegetables start to soften.
- Add tomatoes, lemon juice or wine. Stir.
- Add drained tortellini to pan. Heat through and serve.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Spinach and Cheese Tortellini $3 & Up
Sundried Tomatoes $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.