Crispy Southern Chicken-Fried Chicken Recipe With Creamy Pan Milk Gravy by 30Seconds Food
Not only do they do chicken fried steak down south, but also chicken fried chicken. This easy chicken fried chicken recipe is full of flavor and crispy as all get out. The pan gravy cooks up in minutes after the chicken is done. The combination is the south in your mouth.
The chicken is marinated in buttermilk before being cooked to make it moist and juicy. The chicken breast is breaded in a seasoned flour then into an egg mixture twice before being pan-fried until golden and crispy. Milk, flour and chicken broth is added to the chicken drippings to create a creamy milk gravy right in the pan.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours minimum to marinate
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours minimum to marinate
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded out
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup reserved pan drippings
- 4 tablespoons reserved flour mixture
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken breasts into a zipper food storage bag or reusable bowl. Add the buttermilk and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Whisk together the flour, paprika and garlic powder in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season both with salt and pepper. Remove 4 tablespoons of the flour mixture and set aside (you'll use this for the gravy).
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Dredge in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture, then back in the flour. Carefully put the chicken into the hot oil.
- Cook until chicken is crispy and golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the gravy, drain all but 1/4 cup of the cooking oil from the pan. Whisk in the 4 tablespoons of flour. Cook 1 minute. Slowly pour the chicken broth into the pan, whisking. Bring to a boil. When gravy thickens slightly, add the milk. Season with salt and pepper.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.