20-Minute Gougère Recipe (French Cheese Puffs) Is So Easy to Make by Donna John
A gougère is an airy French cheese puff made with savory choux pastry (the same dough eclairs and cream puffs are made with). The most common cheeses used in a gougère are Gruyère, Comté or Emmentaler, but any cheese can be added. For some spice, I used pepper jack cheese.
Be sure to stir the dough as it cooks vigorously. Put some muscle into it! If you don't like or have fresh chives, stir your favorite herb into the batter – or leave it out. I'm gong to make mini pizzas with the leftovers by flattening the gougères and spreading a little spaghetti sauce on top and adding a few pizza toppings.
This gougère recipe was super simple, and it makes a delicious snack, too. Next time I'm going to sprinkle a little extra garlic salt on the top before baking.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 18 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: Makes about 16
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the water and butter in a saucepot. Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Add the flour, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Stir vigorously until it forms a ball. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in one egg at a time until smooth. Stir vigorously!
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and the chives.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet or baking pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Baking Pans $8 & Up
Italian Seasoning $3 & Up
Garlic Salt $3 & Up
All Purpose Flour $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.