Olivia Newton-John's Baked Apples Recipe & How You Can Make a Difference for Her Cancer Wellness Centre by Ann Marie Patitucci
I am hopelessly devoted to Olivia Newton-John forever. I couldn’t begin to guess how many times I watched Grease as a child and teen. My siblings, best friend Beth, some neighborhood kids and I even performed our own production in our driveway one summer – with Sesame Street sheets as stage curtains, no less.
My parents took my siblings and me to see a local production when we were kids, and as a young adult I saw a production in Washington, D.C. So many wonderful memories are connected to Grease and Ms. Olivia Newton-John for me. Of course her successes include four Grammy Awards, an Emmy Award, countless music awards, 10 No. 1 hits, over 15 top-10 singles and numerous television and film roles, but she’ll always be “Sandy” to me.
Photo: Olivia Newton-John at the G'Day USA Gala in Beverly Hills, California, in January 2020.
I was so saddened to learn of Ms. Newton-John’s passing at the age of 73. A breast cancer “thriver” for 20 years, she has donated all her profits from her cookbook Livwise Cookbook: Easy, Well-Balanced and Delicious Recipes for a Healthy, Happy Life to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre. If you’d like to pay tribute to her, consider making a direct donation to the Centre, purchasing the cookbook or making one of her recipes.
This is Olivia Newton-John's baked apples recipe.
Cuisine: American / Australian
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 apples (or pears), cored
- 1/3 cup dried fruit, such as raisins or cranberries
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Use a sharp knife to make a shallow cut through the skin around the middle of the apple; this prevents the skin from splitting during cooking.
- Place the dried fruit into the cavity of the apples and arrange them in a small baking dish. Pour the orange juice over the apples and drizzle the honey over.
- Bake the apples in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes, or until the juice has thickened and the apples are soft. Remove apples from the oven and serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Note: You can add spices like ground cinnamon, star anise, cloves, allspice or ginger.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.