Grandma's Most-Requested Buttermilk Macaroni & Cheese Recipe by Donna John
A friend of mine shared this recipe for her grandma's buttermilk macaroni and cheese. Buttermilk? When I first heard that she used buttermilk in her mac and cheese, I was skeptical. But, guess what? It is absolutely delicious! No wonder it's her grandma's most-requested recipe!
If you're making this macaroni and cheese recipe for a potluck or large family gathering, double it and bake in a 13x9-inch baking pan. Print out plenty of copies of the recipe (you'll need them).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese (divided)
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar, 1 cup of gouda, butter, smoked paprika and garlic powder to the hot noodles. Stir well to combine. Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Pour the buttermilk over the top and stir. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
2-Quart Baking Dishes $10 & Up
Elbow Macaroni $1 & Up
Smoked Paprika $4 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
13x9-inch Baking Pans $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.