An Italian Grandma's Easy & Tasty Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe by Ann Marie Patitucci
Over time I’ve come to believe that this delicious Greek sauce is more versatile than I once thought. Serve this easy tzatziki recipe with fresh vegetables, pita bread, crackers, olives, in gyros, on lamb or kebabs, pork tenderloin, sandwiches, even on burgers.
With only two steps, it’s an easy dip or condiment to throw together for last-minute guests or just because your family loves it! Note the tips for removing water/moisture for a rich and creamy tzatziki sauce.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 8 hours to freeze
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours and 20 minutes
Servings: Makes about 5 cups
- 1 container (32 ounces) plain low-fat yogurt, strained using cheesecloth or a paper towel (or use Greek yogurt which typically doesn’t need to be strained)
- 1 English cucumber with peel, grated (wrap in a paper towel to remove the moisture)
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Stir together yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl. Add lemon zest, dill, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Taste and add additional lemon juice, salt and/or pepper, if you like.
- Pour into a serving dish, cover tightly and refrigerate 8 hours before serving.
Grandma’s Tip: Before placing the sauce in the refrigerator, put a piece of sliced bread on top. This will draw out excess liquid, resulting in a wonderfully rich, creamy tzatziki dip. Just be sure to remove the bread before serving!
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.