Grandma's Biscuit Bread Recipe: This Old-fashioned 4-Ingredient Recipe Is Fantastic by Donna John
Tender, flakey buttermilk biscuits are a staple down south. Some people may be intimidated by making homemade biscuits, with the mixing, rolling, cutting and baking. But what if you could make biscuit bread in a skillet in about 20 minutes? You can!
This easy biscuit bread recipe has just four simple ingredients, easy prep and cooks up to tender, moist perfection in a cast iron skillet. The old-fashioned biscuit bread is made with bacon drippings (a southern must), self-rising flour, butter and buttermilk. Flour, buttermilk and butter create the simple biscuit dough that's cooked over high heat in a cast iron skillet. A slathering of butter finishes the biscuit bread.
Get the skillet really hot before adding the dough and reducing the heat so it gets really golden brown. If you don't have bacon drippings, you could use vegetable shortening. To always have bacon drippings on hand, simply pour the bacon grease into a container after cooking bacon. I keep mine in the freezer.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 to 12 minutes (approximately)
Total Time: 18 to 22 minutes
- 2 teaspoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 - 1 cup buttermilk (I used the whole 1 cup)
- melted butter, for top
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the bacon drippings in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Put the flour and butter into a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter.
- Add the buttermilk, mixing until a "shaggy" dough forms.
- Put the dough onto a floured surface and shape into a disc. Flip it over in the flour and form into a tighter disc.
- Put the dough into the hot skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until bottom is golden brown. With a large spatula, carefully flip the dough over and continue to cook until golden on the bottom and cooked through. This can take anywhere from 8 to 12 minutes (approximately), depending on thickness of dough and heat of pan.
- Top with some melted butter.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.