Queijadas de Sintra Recipe: Let's Make This Traditional Portuguese Cheesecake Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Queijadas de Sintra, or Portuguese cheesecakes, are a traditional pastry found throughout Portugal. The cheesecakes have a flaky crust and rich, cheesy filling with a hint of sweetness.
All sorts of cheeses are used in these pastries – from mozzarella to goat cheese to ricotta. This Portuguese cheesecake recipe uses fresh (fresh is the key here!) mozzarella and is not hard at all to make.
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hours to chill dough and filling
Cook Time: 18 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes plus 2 hours to chill dough and filling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup ice cold water
- 1/4 pound (4 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes and at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (not sifted)
Here's how to make it:
- To make the pastry, put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut in the shortening until you get the texture of cornmeal. While stirring, slowly drizzle in the ice water until a dough forms. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To make the filling, put the cheese, butter, sugar and cinnamon into a food processor or stand mixer. Beat on high until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and beat 1 more minute. Add the egg yolks and beat well. Add the flour and start pulsing the food processor to just blend. Put the filling into a mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake the cheesecakes, divide the dough in half. Roll both halves out as thin as you can on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out rounds. Reroll the scrapes together and cut out as many rounds as you can.
- Put each round into a muffin tin cup. Fill each cup with the filling. Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until filling puffs and is golden brown. Remove and cool to room temperature before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Muffins Tins $8 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $3 & Up
Vegetable Shortening $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Pastry Cutters $7 & Up
Food Processors $30 & Up
Stand Mixers $50 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.