30-Minute Pupusas Recipe: This Scratch-Made Bean & Cheese Pupusa Recipe Is So Easy by 30Seconds Food
A pupusa is a flatbread made with masa harina (cornmeal flour) from El Salvador and Honduras. It's actually the national dish of El Salvador and often made during special events, holidays and celebrations.
This easy pupusa recipe has a simple bean and cheese filling. You could add shredded beef, chicken or pork. Pupusas are usually served with salsa roja and a spicy Salvadoran slaw called curtido (try this quick curtido recipe).
Cuisine: Salvadoran / Central American
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 cups white masa harina or yellow masa harina
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1 can (14 ounces) refried beans or homemade refried beans
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, Oaxaca cheese or Mexican blend cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Whisk together the masa harina and salt in a large bowl. Add the water, a little at a time, mixing, until a soft dough forms. Add more masa harina or water until it feels like play dough. Add the butter and chicken bouillon, if using.
- Make balls of the dough (about the size of a golf ball). Put them on a plate and cover with a moist paper towel while you make them so they don't dry out.
- Flatten each ball of dough into a 4-inch disc.
- Spread some beans on each disc and top with some grated cheese.
- Carefully fold the dough over and seal the edges, then shape back into a disc.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Put the pupusas into the pan and cook about 2 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Yellow Masa Harina $3 & Up
White Masa Harina $3 & Up
Chicken Bouillon $3 & Up
Refried Beans $2 & Up
Large Skillets $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.