20-Minute Crispy Chicken Patties Recipe Has a Surprising Ingredient by Donna John
After the pandemic, my pantry was full of items that I normally don't buy. A couple cans of chunk chicken breast was one of the shelf-stable meats that I wasn't sure what to do with. That is, until I found this crispy chicken patties recipe.
The simple pan-fried chicken patties are made with canned chicken, an egg, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme and breadcrumbs. The flavorful ingredients will make you forget you're using canned chicken.
Be sure to drain the chicken really well and squeeze out as much liquid as you can before mixing with other ingredients. You can make four thick patties or six thin patties (I made five medium patties). Other ingredients like capers, grated cheese, minced onion, chopped jalapenos, crushed red pepper flakes, hot sauce or fresh herbs could be added to make this recipe your own.
Serve this budget recipe for dinner with your favorite side dishes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) premium white chunk chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 cups dry breadcrumbs or fresh breadcrumbs, divided (I grated 3 slices of sandwich bread)
- fresh minced chives (optional)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
Here's how to make it:
- Pour the cans of chicken into a colander. Break the chicken into pieces using your fingers and press to release as much moisture as you can.
- Combine the chicken, egg, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, chives (if using) and 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Shape the mixture into four to six patties. (The number will depend on how big and thick you make the patties.)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Coat both sides of the patties with the remaining 1 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Fry the patties until golden brown and crisp on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Depending on the brand, canned chicken can be salty, so watch how much extra salt you add to the recipe.
- To bake or air fry the chicken patties, spray with nonstick cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Can Chicken $3 & Up
Dry Breadcrumbs $2 & Up
Dijon Mustard $2 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Onion Powder $3 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Colanders $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.