Creamy Hummus Recipe: Don't Let the Possible Global Hummus Shortage Scare You by Food Fire Friends
A global hummus shortage could soon be heading our way as the supply of chickpeas – the key ingredient – faces a global shortage. Supplies of the legume also used to make falafel, could drop by as much as 20 percent this year according to the Global Pulse Confederation.
Poor weather and the war in Ukraine have curtailed chickpea supplies, sending the price of the protein-rich bean soaring. However, we have revealed a quick and easy hummus recipe for you to make it at home, to keep you stocked up throughout the year!
What is hummus? Hummus is a delicious spread or dip made from chickpeas, tahini, lemon and spices. It’s commonly eaten in the Middle East and the Mediterranean. The standard garnish in the Middle East includes olive oil, a few whole chickpeas, parsley and paprika. In Middle Eastern cuisine, it is usually eaten as a dip with pita bread.
Cuisine: Mediterranean / Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
- 1 can (8 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed with cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 rounds pita bread
- pinch of salt
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini and water in a food processor or blender. Blend to a creamy purée.
- Add a little more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt, to taste. Turn out into a bowl and smooth with the back of a spoon then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve with pita bread, warmed in a moderate oven or even vegetables cut into thin slices.
Source: Food Fire Friends
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds!
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Chickpeas $2 & Up
Tahini $4 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Cumin $3 & Up
Blenders $25 & Up
Food Processors $30 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.