Texas Caviar Recipe With Avocado & Bacon Is Vibrant & Healthy by Donna John
Texas cuisine can surprise you. We have heavy barbecued briskets, smoked pork butts, ribs and meat-laden Texas chili and beans, but we also enjoy the lighter fare like this easy Texas caviar recipe. With beans, peas, corn and other fresh vegetables, it is perfect on a tortilla chip. This version is spiked with a little crispy bacon and avocado, too, which ups the flavor. (For a vegetarian option, just leave the bacon out.)
If you're not a fan of black-eyed peas – my husband things they're "dry" – use two cans of black beans instead. Because it has avocado, serve this appetizer recipe immediately. If you won't be eating it right away, stir in the avocado right before serving.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes to cook bacon
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 8 to 12
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small whole. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Put all the caviar ingredients into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over and toss. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Black-eyed Peas $1 & Up
Black Beans $1 & Up
Whole Kernel Corn $1 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Red Wine Vinegar $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Ground Cumin $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.