Keto Blueberry Lemon Scones Recipe: Delicious Low-Carb & Sugar-Free Scones by Ann Marie G.H. Patitucci
30Seconds shared the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Baking Challenge, a fundraiser for the hospital.
From the baking challenge Facebook page: “St. Jude is leading the way the world understands, treats, and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases ... Your support means families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food – so they can focus on helping their child live. Each week of June, we will challenge you to bake a different treat … You can hold a bake sale … and contribute the funds raised to your challenge fundraiser."
We’ve been following the baking challenge Facebook page, appreciating everyone's dedication and generosity and drooling over the beautiful dessert recipes. A member of the challenge group, Sylvia Roxana Gonzalez, posted keto blueberry lemon scones and they looked absolutely delicious! We asked Sylvia if she’d be willing to share the scone recipe with us, and she said yes!
The scones are low carb and sugar-free, perfect for diabetics, those following a ketogenic diet and anyone who enjoys scones and would like a healthier option!
Cuisine: Scottish / American
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 18 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups keto wheat flour, spooned and leveled (she uses King Arthur Keto Wheat Flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons granular allulose sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined and natural salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoon chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 6 drops of liquid stevia (for sweeter scones), optional
- 1 - 2 cups powdered sugar alternative
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (may need a bit more depending on how much glaze you want and the thickness you desire)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (or more if you like a tart glaze)
- lemon zest (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, allulose, salt and lemon zest. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender (or use your hands), until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Toss in blueberries lightly in the flour mixture. Add stevia to your half and half if you are using it. Add liquid into your dry ingredients and fold together gently until the mixture just begins to come together and forms a soft dough. It will be wet. (Do not over mix or knead the dough.)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and pat into a 1-inch thick circle. (If dough is very sticky, sprinkle with just a hint of the keto flour.) Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 equal triangles.
- Place scones on prepared baking sheet. Try to space them out a bit so they have room to expand and cook through in the middle. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until they are no longer wet (toothpick test), golden and cooked through. Note that all ovens vary so plan accordingly.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a work surface, then place a cooling rack over top of parchment. Remove scones from pan to cooling rack. Cool about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar alternative, heavy cream, lemon juice and lemon zest (if using), until smooth. (Note: If glaze is too thick, add a bit more cream. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar. Glaze all depends on taste. If you like yours tart and therefore add plenty of lemon juice, it will likely be a bit thinner.) Generously drizzle scones with the glaze. Glaze will firm up when scones are completely cool. Enjoy!
Bonus: The scones taste great warmed up in the microwave the next day! In the meantime, wrap leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Granular Allulose Sweetener $10 & Up
Unrefined and Natural Salt $5 & Up
Liquid Stevia $4 & Up
Powdered Sugar Alternative $6 & Up
Keto Wheat Flour $8 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Baking Sheets $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.