Grandma’s Moist Miracle Whip Chocolate Cake Recipe: Beloved for Generations (Just 7 Ingredients) by Ann Marie Patitucci
Have you ever heard of adding mayonnaise or Miracle Whip to chocolate cake? It’s an old-fashioned trick many of our grandmas used to make cakes moist. Seriously! Miracle Whip was invented in 1933 as a cheaper alternative to mayo, which had been around since the 1750s.
My research tells me that the Miracle Whip chocolate cake recipes were popular during World War II (1939 to 1945), when many foods were rationed. No eggs or oil needed because they’re in the Miracle Whip! Around 80 years later, this recipe is still popular today – and for good reason. It makes chocolate cakes even more moist and delish!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 50 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- To lighten up this recipe, you can use Miracle Whip Light or Fat-Free versions.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Here's how to make it:
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add Miracle Whip, hot water and vanilla.
- Mix well and pour into a greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan, two round baking pans or a bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (Cooking time will vary depending on type of pan used.)
- Let cool for about 30 minutes before serving. If frosting the cake, wait until it is completely cooled.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 6.9g
Saturated Fat: 1.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 37.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Total Sugars: 18g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.