Hawaiian Chicken Stir-fry Recipe: All That's Missing Is a Tropical Drink by Melissa Vickers
I adapted it and added some pineapple and onion for extra flavor, and turned it into a stovetop chicken recipe. Yum! Serve over rice, or whatever you like, for dinner. I opted for couscous I had leftover in the refrigerator. If you feel so inclined, maybe a piña colada, too?
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus 4 to 8 hours of marinating
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes (plus marinating)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cooking wine or cooking sherry
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or ground ginger (or to taste)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 6 slices pineapple, cut in chunks or 1/2 can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Towel dry the chicken pieces and either pierce with a fork a few times or cut some slits throughout the meat.
- Combine the sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, wine, ginger, garlic, pineapple and onion to make the marinade. Pour over chicken in a large bowl. Turn the chicken to coat it well. Cover and chill 4 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. When hot, use a slotted spoon to drain chicken and pineapple and drop into oil. Discard remaining marinade. (There will likely be extra liquid in the skillet, so just let the chicken mixture cook down until the chicken can brown.) Flip chicken and brown the other side. Make sure meat is done and tender. Serve.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Ketchup $2 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Soy Sauce $2 & Up
Cooking Wine $3 & Up
Cooking Sherry $3 & Up
Ground Ginger $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Can Pineapple $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.