Aloha! Hawaiian Chicken Stir-fry Recipe: All That's Missing Is a Tropical Drink by Melissa Vickers
I started to try a recipe tonight for huli huli chicken – huli huli is Hawaiian for “turn turn” – and then realized it was intended for the grill. That wasn’t happening tonight. What to do for dinner?
This easy Hawaiian chicken stir fry recipe is made with boneless chicken breasts or thighs, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, cooking wine or sherry, fresh ginger, garlic, pineapple and red onion. Flavors of the tropics without leaving your home! Serve this tropical chicken over rice, or whatever you like, for dinner. I opted for couscous I had leftover in the refrigerator. If you feel so inclined, maybe a piña colada, too?
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus 4 to 8 hours of marinating
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes (plus marinating)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cooking wine or cooking sherry
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or ground ginger (or to taste)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 6 slices pineapple, cut in chunks or 1/2 can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Towel dry the chicken pieces and either pierce with a fork a few times or cut some slits throughout the meat.
- Combine the sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, wine, ginger, garlic, pineapple and onion to make the marinade. Pour over chicken in a large bowl. Turn the chicken to coat it well. Cover and chill 4 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. When hot, use a slotted spoon to drain chicken and pineapple and drop into oil. Discard remaining marinade. (There will likely be extra liquid in the skillet, so just let the chicken mixture cook down until the chicken can brown.) Flip chicken and brown the other side. Make sure meat is done and tender.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.