Savory & Sweet Squash Pie Recipe Is a Tried & True Southern Thing by Melissa Vickers
Here’s a sweet and savory pie recipe I got years ago from my mom’s cousin, Birdie Jane. It’s a different take on the usual savory yellow squash recipes, and makes a pretty yummy pie!
No one will suspect that there's squash in the pie unless you tell them! As a kid, squash and turnip greens were at the top of my least favorite foods list. I’ve since come around and love squash – and tolerate turnip greens!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 pie
- 3 medium yellow squash, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- unbaked pie shell
- lemon peel, for sprinkling on top (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Cook the squash in a little water until mushy, about 10 minutes. Drain squash, then mash with potato masher to make small chunks.
- Add sugar, milk, egg, salt, flour and lemon flavoring. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Lemon Flavoring $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
All-Purpose Flour $3 & Up
Potato Mashers $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.