On page 184 of her cookbook, Naomi's Home Companion, Naomi Judd shares her mom's lemon pie recipe, which she titles "The Best Lemon Pie." She writes, "This is another one of my Mom's best. To top it off – pun intended – just add Mama's foolproof meringue from the Chocolate Meringue Pie (page 152)."
A public memorial for Naomi Judd, titled Naomi Judd: A River of Time Celebration, will air live from Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium on Sunday, May 15, beginning at 6 p.m. ET on CMT. An encore presentation will air at 10 p.m. ET. ABC’s Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts will lead the ceremony. Performers will include Brandi Carlile, the Gaithers, Emmylou Harris, Little Big Town, Ashley McBryde and Allison Russell.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals in the United States.
If you're struggling 988 has been designated as the new three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. While some areas may be currently able to connect to the Lifeline by dialing 988, this dialing code will be available to everyone across the United States starting on July 16, 2022. The current Lifeline phone number (1-800-273-8255) will always remain available to people in emotional distress or suicidal crisis, even after 988 is launched nationally.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus time to cool the filling
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes plus time to cool the filling
- 1 9-inch baked pie shell
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used 3 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Here's how to make it:
- To make the filling, in a heatproof bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks to break them up. Set aside.
- In a medium, heavy saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the hot water until smooth. Bring a boil over high heat, stirring. When the mixture begins to thicken, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, at a very gentle boil for 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Stir several spoonfuls into the yolks. Stir the yolks mixture into the sugar mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until thickened and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the butter and lemon juice. (I used a mesh strainer to catch the seeds.)
- Place a piece of wax paper directly on the surface of the filling and let the saucepan cool.
- Remove the wax paper and spoon the cooled filling into the baked pie shell. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Naomi's Home Companion: A Treasury of Favorite Recipes, Food for Thought and Country Wit and Wisdom $149 & Up (Currently)
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Whisks $5 & Up
Wax Paper $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.