Naomi Judd's Creamy Lemon Pie Recipe Is Something to Sing About by Donna John
On page 184 of her cookbook, Naomi's Home Companion, Naomi Judd shares her mom's lemon pie recipe, which she titles "The Best Lemon Pie." She writes, "This is another one of my Mom's best. To top it off – pun intended – just add Mama's foolproof meringue from the Chocolate Meringue Pie (page 152)."
The lemon pie filling is made with egg yolks, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, hot water, lemon juice (fresh is best) and butter. The filling is cooked on the stovetop before being poured into a baked pie crust. Cool on the counter and then put the lemon pie into the refrigerate to cool completely.
We topped the creamy lemon pie with homemade whipped cream. Delicious!
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus time to cool the filling
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes plus time to cool the filling
- 1 9-inch baked pie shell
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used 3 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Here's how to make it:
- To make the filling, in a heatproof bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks to break them up. Set aside.
- In a medium, heavy saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the hot water until smooth. Bring a boil over high heat, stirring. When the mixture begins to thicken, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, at a very gentle boil for 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Stir several spoonfuls into the yolks. Stir the yolks mixture into the sugar mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until thickened and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the butter and lemon juice. (I used a mesh strainer to catch the seeds.)
- Place a piece of wax paper directly on the surface of the filling and let the saucepan cool.
- Remove the wax paper and spoon the cooled filling into the baked pie shell. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.