Mexican Chicken Lasagna Casserole Recipe Is Layers & Layers of Cheesy Goodness by Melissa Vickers
What makes lasagna lasagna? In the most generic sense, there are layers of something like pasta, creamy cheese, tomato sauce and seasonings. This Mexican lasagna recipe fits the bill, though Mama Mia would likely roll her eyes at the thought of calling it lasagna. I’m guessing she would have enjoyed it, even if she wasn’t wild about the name!
This easy lasagna recipe substitutes Mexican flavors for the more traditional Italian ones, and makes a quick and satisfying meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 package (22 ounces) frozen fajita-flavored grilled chicken breast strips
- 16 ounces salsa (as hot or mild as you like it)
- 1 envelope (1 ounce) dry taco seasoning
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano or cilantro (or to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I use Fiesta blend)
- 10 corn tortillas or flour tortillas
Here’s how to make it:
- Cook chicken according to package directions. Cut into small bite-size pieces.
- Add taco seasoning, salsa and diced tomatoes. Stir to blend.
- Mix cottage cheese, eggs, oregano and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a bowl.
- Cover the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan with five tortillas, breaking as needed to cover.
- Spread half of meat sauce and half of cottage cheese.
- Add another layer of five tortillas, the rest of the meat and the rest of the cottage cheese. Top it off with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Notes: The original recipe calls for browned ground beef, but I subbed frozen chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken, or make it with black beans for a vegetarian version. Vary the spicy heat of the dish according to your preference, using hot or mild salsa, taco seasoning and/or cilantro.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Salsa $3 & Up
Dry Taco Seasoning $1 & Up
Petite Diced Tomatoes $2 & Up
Corn Tortillas $2 & Up
Flour Tortillas $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.