Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Sweet Potato Crust Is Pure Comfort Food by Melissa Vickers
I have an old email from 1995 from an early listserv I was on with this recipe for chicken pot pie. The sweet potato crust really makes this different, special and just slightly sweet.
This chicken pot pie recipe takes a little time to get this done, but I’ve shortened the original recipe by using a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and already off-the-bone rotisserie chicken. Put your favorite vegetables in. Make it your own! I’ve also made this as a vegan recipe by only using veggies, veggie broth, vegan butter and almond milk.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours to chill
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour plus 2 hours to chill
- 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen steamable mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas), microwaved according to package directions
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Sweet Potato Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
Here’s how to make it:
- To make crust, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients, blending well. Refrigerate dough for 2 hours to make it easier to handle. This is a very soft dough! Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/4-inch thickness. Trim to 1/2-inch larger than 8-inch casserole dish. Set aside while you put rest of pie together.
- Combine veggies and chicken in casserole dish.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan and blend in flour. Cook over low heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and cream. Cook and stir constantly until thickened and bubbly. Add salt and pepper. Pour over veggies and chicken in casserole. Top with sweet potato crust, turning edges under and press firmly to the rim of the casserole to seal. Cut slits in the top of the pastry.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 40 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Note: You can vary the veggie mixture according to your own tastes. Add broccoli or chopped celery, precooked and softened. Also, refrigerating the crust isn’t absolutely necessary, but it makes handling the dough much easier.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
8-inch Casserole Dishes $8 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.