Easy 30-Minute Gefilte Fish Recipe Is a Healthy Option for Passover by Sarah Amona
Gefilte fish is a recipe made from a poached mixture of deboned and ground fish, usually carp, whitefish or pike. Skip the store-bought version of gefilte fish and try making your own!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds cod, skin removed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 2 green onions, finely minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 3/4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 3/4 cups thinly sliced kohlrabi
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, cut coarsely
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 cup sour cream
Here's how to make it:
- Cut the fish into small pieces and place in a food processor with 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Chop into a coarse paste. Alternately, you can purchase ground cod. Add the eggs and green onions to the fish and mix thoroughly. Shape the ground fish into 12 balls, about 2 to 3 ounces each.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add the celery and kohlrabi, bring back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the broth with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Carefully add the fish balls into the simmering broth and cook very gently for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the horseradish with the sour cream. Set aside.
- When ready to eat, place a quarter of the vegetable into a bowl and top with 1 cup of broth. Repeat for remaining servings. Top with cooked fish balls (2 per bowl) and garnish each bowl with about 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley. Serve with horseradish sauce.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.