Carrot Cake Roll Recipe: A Fun & Easy Twist on a Classic Easter Dessert by Ann Marie Patitucci
Most people seem to love carrot cake, and it’s a popular Easter dessert. Well, this carrot cake roll cake is a delicious, easy-to-make twist on the classic dessert recipe and it tastes as great as it looks! This rolled cake recipe is a basic spiced carrot cake with a yummy cream cheese frosting inside. It is sure to impress your dinner guests!
The carrot cake batter is made with flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and shredded carrots. The cake is baked, roll and cooled, unrolled and filled with a cream cheese frosting. The frosting is a sweet mixture of cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Decorate the cake however you like! Get creative and make it the centerpiece of your Easter table.
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hour to chill
Cook Time: 10 to 13 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes (approximately)
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots, loosely packed into measuring cup
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons), at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Here's how to make it:
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spray a little cooking spray on the pan to help the paper stick to the pan and stay in place.
- Make carrot cake by combining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Beat in sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until almost fully combined.
- Fold in carrots. Spread batter evenly onto prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degreee F oven for 10 to 13 minutes. A toothpick will come out clean from center of cake when done. Immediately roll cake from short end to short end inside the parchment paper. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make cream cheese frosting by placing cream cheese in a large bowl and beating until smooth. Add butter 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and then mix until combined.
- Carefully unroll the cake. (If it's still warm, leave it unrolled for a few extra minutes to release any excess steam/heat. It’s OK if it cracks a little; just be gentle.) Spread frosting evenly on all but 1 inch of the end you will be rolling toward.
- Re-roll the cake, starting with the frosted end. Roll and tuck the cake as tightly as you can, working your way toward the unfrosted edge. Loosen and remove the parchment paper as you go. Discard the parchment paper when you finish rolling.
- Wrap the whole cake roll with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator or freezer for 1 hour or more. (I recommend freezing.)
- Use a hot knife to cut the cake roll (while still frozen/cold) by running the knife under hot water first. (You can dry the knife, recommended if not frozen, or leave it wet.) Thawing will take approximately 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature. If desired, add edible Easter cake decorations before serving.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.