Classic Tom Thumb Bars Recipe: An Old-fashioned Chewy Coconut Toffee Cookie Bar Recipe From the 1930s by Chef Gigi
This Tom Thumb cookie bar recipe is nostalgic and said to be from the 1930s and 40s, and it has been handed down through the generations in my family. The combination of a flaky, buttery crust combined with the chewy coconut filling makes for an irresistible dessert.
Frost this coconut toffee bars recipe with chocolate ganache as an elevated option. Who could resist this decadent cookie?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: Makes approximately 36
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
Here's how to make it:
- For the crust, in a medium-sized bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour and salt until well blended. Press into a 13x9-inch baking pan that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven for 15 minutes or until slightly browned. After removing the crust from the oven, increase the heat to 350 degrees F.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer combine the brown sugar, baking powder and flour until well blended. Mix in eggs and vanilla, beating until thick and foamy. Fold in the coconut and chopped nuts.
- Spread the filling over the warm crust. Bake for 25 minutes or until bars are lightly browned and puffy. Cool completely.
- Spread with thick chocolate ganache, if desired, and cut into bars.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Dark Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Shredded Coconut $3 & Up
Walnuts $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.