Chef's Classic Tom Thumb Cookie Bars Recipe: An Irresistible Coconut Toffee Bar Dessert by Chef Gigi
This Tom Thumb cookie bar recipe is nostalgic and said to be from the 1930s and '40s. It has been handed down through the generations in my family. The combination of a flaky, buttery crust combined with the chewy coconut filling makes for an irresistible dessert.
Here is your shopping list for these old-fashioned coconut toffee cookie bars: butter, salt, brown sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, shredded coconut and walnuts. Sounds heavenly, right? And that's before you add the optional chocolate topping!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- Electric Mixer
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 13x9-inch Baking Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Stand Mixer
- Parchment Paper
- Store the bars in an airtight container.
- These bars are delicious on their own, but the chocolate ganache just adds that extra something special.
Here's how to make it:
- For the crust, in a medium-sized bowl, mix together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour and salt until well blended. Press into a 13x9-inch baking pan that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven for 15 minutes or until slightly browned. After removing the crust from the oven, increase the heat to 350 degrees F.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer combine the brown sugar, baking powder and flour until well blended. Mix in eggs and vanilla, beating until thick and foamy. Fold in the coconut and chopped nuts.
- Spread the filling over the warm crust. Bake for 25 minutes or until bars are lightly browned and puffy. Cool completely.
- Spread with thick chocolate ganache, if desired, and cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 2.8g
Total Carbohydrate: 9.5g
Dietary Fiber: 0.6g
Total Sugars: 6.2g
Vitamin D: 3mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.