Crispy Curry Baked Chicken Recipe With Creamy Coconut Rice Smells & Tastes Heavenly by Donna John
Crispy, golden brown chicken flavored with curry is nestled in creamy coconut rice. This easy curry chicken recipe is delicious! The chicken is browned first to increase the crispiness, and the onion and aromatics are cooked in the pan drippings to add even more flavor. The baked chicken recipe makes the whole house smell absolutely amazing as it cooks.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 6 - 8 bone-in chicken pieces (I used thighs and legs)
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- ground cayenne, to taste (I used homemade cayenne powder)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk (I used full-fat coconut milk, not lite)
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, curry powder and cayenne, to taste.
- Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof skillet (I used a cast iron skillet). Add the chicken and cook until well browned on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on how big your chicken pieces are. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan (do not drain the oil or pan drippings). Cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook another minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Cook about 1 minute.
- Add the water and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat. Put the chicken back into the pan in a single layer.
- Cover the pan with a lid or foil. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F). Uncover and bake about 5 minutes more to crisp the skin. (I turned the broiler on for a minute.)
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
Note: Baking time will vary according to the size of your chicken and the pieces used. Breasts usually take longer to cook.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cast Iron Skillets $15 & Up
Curry Powder $3 & Up
Ground Cayenne $2 & Up
Coconut Milk $2 & Up
Basmati Rice $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.