Easy Oatmeal Waffles Recipe: Heart-Healthier Waffle Recipe Is Full of Fiber-Rich Oats for Better Nutrition by Elisa Schmitz
Waffles are as much fun to make as they are to eat. But unfortunately, regular waffles aren't the most nutritious of meals. I've been trying to make them healthier so I can feel better about feeding them to my family.
Oats have become one my favorite go-to solutions for boosting nutrition. It's an easy swap for many recipes that require flour. And the best part is that oatmeal is loaded with soluble fiber, which means it's at the top of the list when it comes to foods that may boost heart health and even help with weight loss.
The texture and consistency of these oatmeal waffles are different than the typical waffle (more substantive and chewy), and because of the oats, they'll fill you up faster. Even my husband could only eat three-quarters of his for breakfast before he felt stuffed (I ate a half a waffle and saved the other half for a snack later). If you're eating less, and staying fuller longer with healthier ingredients, that's a weight-loss win-win!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 to 8 minutes, depending on your waffle maker
Total Time: 10 to 13 minutes
Servings: Makes 2 large waffles
- 1 1/4 cups flour (I used gluten-free flour)
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats (I used gluten-free quick-cooking oats)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk; you may need to add more or less milk to achieve your desired consistency for the type of waffle maker you have)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- sliced strawberries and banana, or your choice of berries, for garnish
- butter or whipped cream, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the flour, oats, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla, milk, canola oil and egg in a mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Spray waffle maker with nonstick spray, and heat it up. Pour the batter and prepare waffles per manufacturer directions.
- Serve with maple syrup and/or and butter, or a dollop of whipped cream, if desired. Garnish with bananas and berries.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.