Budget-Friendly Sesame Chicken Recipe: This Easy Asian Chicken Recipe Will Make You Toss Those Take-out Menus by Ann Marie G.H. Patitucci
My family loves ordering Chinese take-out food. However, it’s pricey and we’re trying to be better about cooking more, because it’s both healthier and more affordable.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (I prefer extra virgin olive oil)
Here's how to make it:
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl combine the soy sauce, water, sesame oil, brown sugar, rice vinegar, fresh ginger, minced garlic, sesame seeds and cornstarch. Set the sauce aside.
- For the chicken, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg, cornstarch and a pinch of salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the egg and cornstarch mixture.
- Add the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Once the skillet is very hot, swirl it around to ensure the oil coats the entire surface. Add the chicken, spreading pieces out in a single layer in the skillet.
- Cook chicken pieces until golden brown on the bottom. Carefully flip the chicken, breaking up the pieces into smaller ones. Continue to cook the chicken until golden brown on the other side. Stir the chicken as little as possible to avoid breaking the egg coating.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and golden brown on all sides, pour the sesame sauce over top. Be sure to fully coat the chicken with the sauce. As the sauce comes up to a simmer, you’ll notice it begin to thicken. Continue to gently stir the chicken in the sauce until it has thickened, then turn off the heat.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soy Sauce $2 & Up
Sesame Oil $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Rice Vinegar $2 & Up
Sesame Seeds $3 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Extra Virgin Olive Oil $4 & Up
White Rice $2 & Up
Jasmine Rice $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.