Prague Cake Recipe: This Decadent Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Cream & Ganache Is a Popular Eastern European Dessert by 30Seconds Food
Prague cake was invented in Moscow by a pastry chef at the Prague restaurant. But the decadent chocolate cake recipe with chocolate cream and ganache is now a popular dessert throughout Eastern Europe, including Ukraine.
Similar to the famous Sacher torte cake created in Austria, this chocolate cake recipe does have a lot of steps and does take a little time. But once you put that first moist, sweet, creamy bite in your mouth, it will be worth every minute. Be sure to share!
Cuisine: Eastern European
Prep Time: 1 hour (approximately)
Cook Time: 1 hour (approximately)
Total Time: 2 hours
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 8 egg whites
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 1/2 sticks butter, softened (400 grams)
- 8 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- chocolate shavings or grated chocolate, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- To make the cake, combine cocoa powder, coffee granules and water. Stir until dissolved.
- Put the egg yolks into a bowl and the egg whites into another bowl. Whisk the egg yolks and granulated sugar together. Add the oil and whisk to combine. Add the cocoa-coffee mixture and stir.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the mixture to the cocoa mixture and stir until combined.
- Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured round cake pan. Bake in a preheated 300-degree F oven for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove cake and let it cool completely. Slice the cake into four layers.
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream to make the soaking liquid. Spoon the mixture over the cake layers.
- To make the chocolate cream, beat the eggs yolks together in a saucepan, then add the water and sweetened condensed milk. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted and combined. Cool the mixture to room temperature. Put the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and turn to medium speed. Slowly start adding the cooled chocolate until fully combined.
- To make the chocolate ganache, put the cream and chocolate chips into a saucepan. Cook on on low heat until chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Cool.
- Put one of the cake layers onto a serving plate. Top with some of the chocolate cream then add another cake layer. Repeat layers. Frost the whole cake with the remaining chocolate cream. Drizzle or spread the ganache over the top. Add chocolate shavings or grated chocolate to tops and/or top, if desired. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.