Chicken Gloria Recipe: Not Sure Who Gloria Is, But Her Mushroom & Chicken Casserole Recipe Is Glorious by Melissa Vickers
Who is Gloria, anyway? I have no idea, but her chicken casserole recipe is glorious – and it’s adaptable. If mushrooms aren’t your thing, try your favorite vegetable add-ins. (In our house, there is no such thing as too many mushrooms!)
This easy chicken casserole recipe will feed a crowd and can be frozen for later. The creamy sauce makes for comfort food at its best! Serve over your favorite “gotta have gravy” side dish or rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 to 70 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, (4 to 5 large chicken breasts), cut into 1-inch thick strips or smaller
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, to coat the chicken
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup half and half or 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 cup heavy cream
Here’s how to make it:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge both sides in flour. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add chicken and sauté until golden. Don’t crowd the pan, so work in batches. This step just browns the chicken – it will finish cooking in the oven. Transfer chicken to a 13x9-casserole baking dish.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil along with sliced mushrooms and diced onions and sauté until soft and golden. Add garlic and sauté another 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- For the sauce, melt 3 tablespoons butter in the pan. Add the flour and whisk until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Add the half and half and bring to a simmer. Pour the sauce over the chicken and mushrooms.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how thickly you cut the chicken.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.