Copycat McDonald's Shamrock Shake® Recipe: Try This Festive St. Patrick's Day Drink at Home by Elisa Schmitz
One of the best St. Patrick's Day treats just may be the mint milkshake, which was created and launched into popular culture by McDonald's as the Shamrock Shake® in 1967. According to McDonald's, the Shamrock Shake® was created by Hal Rosen, "a Connecticut McDonald’s owner and operator who made the delicious, mint shake in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. It later debuted in select locations across the U.S. in 1970, and was an instant success."
The copycat recipe is made with vanilla ice cream, whole milk, peppermint extract and food coloring. Those ingredients are blended until smooth in a blender. Pour into a tall glass and top with whipped cream and mint leaves. How fun!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 2 - 3 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, or to taste
- 4 to 6 drops green food coloring (to your desired level of green-ness)
- whipped cream, for topping (to taste)
- mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Add ice cream, milk, peppermint extract and food coloring to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass and top with whipped cream. Garnish with mint leaves, if desired. Serve with a straw or spoon (or both).
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.