Grandma's Congo Squares Recipe: Old-fashioned Congo Bars Recipe Is the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar by Gale Gand
My brother and I used to sneak them out of her chest freezer in her basement so I even like them frozen. Try this easy Congo Squares recipe that is Grandma Elsie Grossman approved!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Servings: Makes 35 squares
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and cream well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix in completely. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a bowl combine the salt, baking powder and flour. Add to the mixing bowl and combine on low speed.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 2-inch squares (5 rows by 7 rows).
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cookbooks by Gale Gand $5 & Up
13x9-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Light Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Semisweet Chocolate Chips $3 & Up
Flaked Coconut $2 & Up
Walnuts $4 & Up
Pecans $4 & Up
Recipe Boxes $10 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Stand Mixers $50 & Up
Hand Mixers $15 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.