Grandma's Congo Squares Recipe: Old-fashioned Congo Bars Recipe Is the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar by Gale Gand
I was looking through my Grandma Elsie’s recipe card file and found the perfect thing to make for Ella’s school bake sale to benefit Ukraine: Congo Squares. I forgot how good they were!
My brother and I used to sneak them out of her chest freezer in her basement so I even like them frozen. Try this easy Congo Squares recipe that is Grandma Elsie Grossman approved!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Servings: Makes 35 squares
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and cream well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix in completely. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a bowl combine the salt, baking powder and flour. Add to the mixing bowl and combine on low speed.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 2-inch squares (5 rows by 7 rows).
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cookbooks by Gale Gand $5 & Up
13x9-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Light Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Semisweet Chocolate Chips $3 & Up
Flaked Coconut $2 & Up
Walnuts $4 & Up
Pecans $4 & Up
Recipe Boxes $10 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Stand Mixers $50 & Up
Hand Mixers $15 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.