Grandma's Congo Squares Recipe Is the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar by Gale Gand
I was looking through my Grandma Elsie’s recipe card file and found the perfect thing to make for Ella’s school bake sale to benefit Ukraine: Congo Squares. I forgot how good they were! My brother and I used to sneak them out of her chest freezer in her basement so I even like them frozen. Try this easy Congo Squares recipe that is Grandma Elsie Grossman approved!
Here is your shopping list for these old-fashioned Congo Squares: butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, baking powder, all-purpose flour, semisweet chocolate chips, walnuts or pecans and shredded coconut. Sounds heavenly, right?
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Servings: Makes 35 squares
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Electric Mixer
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 13x9-inch Baking Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Stand Mixer
- Parchment Paper
- Store the bars in an airtight container.
- You could use dark or milk chocolate chips.
Here's how to make it:
- Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and cream well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix in completely. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a bowl combine the salt, baking powder and flour. Add to the mixing bowl and combine on low speed.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 2-inch squares (5 rows by 7 rows).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 7.7g
Saturated Fat: 4.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 23.3g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Total Sugars: 14g
Vitamin D: 4mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.