Hearty Borscht Recipe: Like the Strong People of Ukraine, This Ukrainian Beet Soup Recipe Packs a Powerful Punch by 30Seconds Food
As we enjoy this delicious beet soup recipe that packs a colorful – and flavorful – punch, let's send positive energy and thoughts to the strong and brave people of Ukraine.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 8 cups water
- 3 medium to large beets, peeled and shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 small russet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1/2 head of cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 can (8 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- sugar, to taste (optional)
- sour cream, for garnish
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the sausage in a skillet until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Pour the water into a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Add the sausage and beets. Cook about 10 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes and continue to cook about 15 minutes. Add the cabbage, diced tomatoes, garlic and onion-tomato mixture. Stir. Cook about 5 to 10 more minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with sour cream and chopped parsley.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.