Avocado Lime Chicken Soup Recipe: Make Your Taste Buds Happy With This Fresh Mexican Soup Recipe by Sarah Amona
Garnish this flavorful chicken soup with light sour cream or yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro or shredded low-fat or dairy-free vegan cheese. The whole family will enjoy every spoonful.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions (mince the white part, chop the green part)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced (leave seeds if you want soup spicy, omit if you don't like heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cans (14 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 medium avocados, peeled, cored and diced
Here's how to make it:
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add green onions and jalapenos and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cabbage and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken breasts. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through 10 to 15 minutes (cook time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts).
- Reduce burner to warm heat, remove chicken from pan and let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes. Shred chicken and return to soup. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Add avocados to soup just before serving (if you don't plan on serving the soup right away, I would recommend adding the avocados to each bowl individually, about 1/2 an avocado per serving). Serve with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Note: For thicker chicken breasts, cut breasts in half through the length (thickness) of the breasts, they will cook faster and more evenly.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.