Easy Cajun Jambalaya Recipe: A Mardi Gras Recipe Poppin' With Flavor by 30Seconds Food
Bring Mardi Gras home by making this easy sausage and shrimp jambalaya recipe. This delicious jambalaya recipe is poppin' with all sorts of flavors and is cooked in a cast iron skillet. The cooking starts on the stove and ends in the oven. So simple!
Jambalaya is an American Creole and Cajun rice dish of French, African and Spanish influence. The dish consists of meat, usually sausage, chicken or seafood, vegetables and rice. Lots of rice. This jambalaya recipe is made with smoked sausage or andouille (Cajun sausage) onion, red bell pepper, celery, garlic, chicken broth, long-grain white rice, bay leaves, chopped fresh thyme, ground cayenne pepper, diced canned tomatoes and shrimp. Simple ingredients that create a dish full of flavors and textures.
Cuisine: American / French / African / Spanish
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage or andouille sausage, cut into rounds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion, pepper and celery. Cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Put the sausage back into the pan along with the broth, rice, bay leaves, thyme and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Cover the skillet and put into a preheated 350-degree F oven. Cook about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir into the rice. Put the shrimp on top. Cover and cook about 10 more minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.