Grandma's Vintage Lemon Meringue Puff Pie Recipe From the 1960s by Donna John
My grandma had more than index cards in her recipe box. She also had recipes torn out of magazines, newspapers and advertisements. This is a lemon meringue pie recipe from a 1962 Family Circle magazine. This easy vintage lemon meringue puff pie recipe is sure to have been on many tables over the years!
This old-fashioned lemon meringue puff pie recipe is sure to please any pie or lemon lovers in your family. All you need to make this lemon pie is a pastry shell, sugar, cornstarch, flour, salt, water, eggs, grated lemon rind, fresh lemon juice, butter and lemon extract.
This lemon meringue pie makes a refreshing dessert for a special occasion, or any time, especially during the spring and summer months. Did your family have a favorite lemon pie recipe? You can submit it to 30Seconds and share the love.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 pie
- 1 9-inch pastry shell
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar (for filling)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for meringue)
Here's how to make it:
- Prepare and bake pastry crust. Cool.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Heat water to boiling, reduce heat, gradually add sugar mixture, stirring constantly and cook 5 to 7 minutes until mixture holds a line when cut with a spoon. Remove from the heat at once.
- Separate eggs. Beat yolks slightly with fork. Stir in a generous 1/2 cup of hot mixture and quickly stir back into saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture mounds softly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon rind, juice and butter. Pour into pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites with lemon extract until double in volume. Then beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms peaks. Pile the meringue on filling, spreading to edge of crust. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F) until golden brown.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.