Easy 4-Ingredient Japanese Corn Rice Recipe Is Not Shy On Flavor by 30Seconds Food
Japanese corn rice is simply sushi rice that's been seasoned with corn, soy sauce and kombu then served with butter or sesame oil. The corn flavor is intensified by using the corn milk and the cob when cooking the rice. The ingredient list is short for this rice recipe: sushi rice, corn, soy sauce and dried kombu.
Kombu is edible kelp widely eaten in East Asia. Kombu is also called to as dasima or haidai. It's easily found on the Asian aisle of your grocery store or at Asian food markets.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cups sushi rice, rinsed well and soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 corn on the cob
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 piece dried kombu
- sesame oil or butter, for serving (optional)
- Drizzle the rice with Japanese tare sauce for even more flavor.
- Store any leftover rice in an airtight container in the fridge.
Here's how to make it:
- Cut the kernels off the cob into a bowl. Using a knife, scrape the cob to release the corn milk into the bowl. Do not throw away the cob.
- Drain the rice and put it into a large saucepot. Add the water, soy sauce and salt, to taste. Stir to combine.
- Put the corn, corn cob, corn milk and dried kombu on top of the rice. Press gently to submerge it in the water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook about 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for about 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and let the rice sit, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the pot and remove the cob and kombu (you can throw it away). Fluff the rice. Serve with butter or sesame oil and garnish with chopped green onions or chives, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.5g
Saturated Fat: 0.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 53.4g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1g
Total Sugars: 1.8g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.