Red Velvet Cake Roll Recipe: A Delicious Way to Roll Up on Valentine's Day by 30Seconds Food
If that special person in your life loves red velvet cake as much as they love you, you've gotta make them one! This red velvet cake roll recipe is simple to make. Really. Don't be intimidated. Just imagine all the points you'll get for your effort on Valentine's Day.
The cake batter is made with eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, red food coloring, white vinegar, vanilla, flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Your basic red velvet cake ingredients. The batter is baked in a jellyroll pan, rolled up and cooled completely before being unrolled. This is where the creamy filling is added and it is rolled up again. The cake filling is made with cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar and white baking chocolate. Sweet, creamy and delicious!
Put this cake on a pretty platter is serving for dessert and dust with a little powdered sugar. You could also put it into a holiday tin and give as a gift to friends and family. When you roll up with this cake, you will win Valentine's Day!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 box (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
Here's how to make it:
- Line a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Slowly start adding in the sugar and beat until thick.
- Add the buttermilk, oil, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in another bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients and beat for about 2 minutes. Pour the mixture evenly onto the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 12 to 15 minutes or until it springs back when touched. Remove and cool about 5 minutes before inverting onto a kitchen towel. Carefully peel off the parchment paper. Roll the cake up and cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together. Add the powdered sugar and melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Unroll the cake. Spread the filling all over the cake leaving a 1/2-inch border. Roll it up. Trim the ends and place it on a serving platter. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Jelly Roll Pans $8 & Up
Electric Mixers $12 & Up
Red Food Coloring $2 & Up
White Baking Chocolate $4 & Up
Cocoa Powder $3 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
White Vinegar $1 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.