Roasted Red Pepper & Gouda Bisque Recipe: This Slow-cooker Bisque Recipe Is Creamy Comfort Food by Ann Marie G.H. Patitucci
Though I don’t have it often, perhaps my all-time favorite soup recipe is technically not a soup, but a bisque: roasted red pepper and gouda. When I taught at a university in northern NY I spent a lot of time at a local café. It was there that I worked on my tenure files, wrote my first play and wrote my first book. I owe a lot to that little café and its friendly staff, not to mention their chai lattes, cranberry walnut salad and roasted red pepper and gouda bisque.
It’s been years since I’ve eaten there, and in fact the café is now closed, but I still think of that special place and their food. The good news: I finally found a recipe that comes very close to their wonderful bisque.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours and 20 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 - 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 ounces smoked or regular gouda cheese, grated, plus extra for garnishing
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- croutons, for serving (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat slow cooker on low.
- Add the following to the slow cooker: roasted red peppers, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, basil, sea salt, oregano and black pepper.
- In a medium pan, sauté the garlic and onion in butter over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sautéed onions and garlic to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- After cooking for 4 hours, transfer the soup to a high-powered blender or immersion blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the slow cooker. Add the heavy cream and cheese. Cover and cook for 1 additional hour.
- Garnish with the extra gouda and fresh basil and top with croutons, if desired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Slow Cookers $20 & Up
Immersion Blenders $15 & Up
Blenders $20 & Up
Roasted Red Peppers $3 & Up
Fire-roasted Tomatoes $2 & Up
Chicken Stock $1 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
Dried Basil $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.