30-Minute Cullen Skink Recipe: The Scottish Soup Recipe Has a Strange Name, But Incredible Flavors by 30Seconds Food
Cullen skink may not sound like something you want to eat, but believe us, you do! Cullen skink is a Scottish soup recipe that's made with smoked haddock, potatoes and onion or leeks in a infused milk broth. The simple fish soup recipe is from the town of Cullen in Moray, which is located on the northeast coast of Scotland. Serve this easy soup recipe with crusty bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 large white, waxy potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound smoked haddock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped fine or 1 cup sliced leeks, washed well
- fresh chives, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Put the milk, chives, bay leaf and haddock into a saucepot. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit about 5 minutes for flavors to infuse the milk.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the haddock to a plate. Pour the infused milk through a mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Melt the butter in the saucepot. Add the onion or leeks and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the milk back into the saucepot along with the cooked potatoes. Cook over medium-low heat until it thickens up a bit, about 2 minutes.
- Flake the fish into large chunks and put it back into the pot. Gently cook about 5 more minutes, taking care not to break the fish up too much. Season with salt and pepper. (Watch out how much salt you add because the haddock is already salty.)
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh chives.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Saucepots $10 & Up
Smoked Haddock varies
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Cullen Skink Soups $13 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.