Crunchy Air Fryer Southern Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe for the Win by 30Seconds Food
Fried green tomatoes are a staple in the south. Tart, unripe tomatoes are coated in a batter then deep fried. What's not to love? Maybe all the fat? This air fryer fried green tomato recipe uses minimal oil (and it's olive oil) to create the crispy crust.
For this southern air fryer recipe you'll need large green tomatoes, flour, eggs, buttermilk, panko breadcrumbs, cornmeal and olive oil spray. The green tomato slices are dipped in buttermilk and eggs before being dredged in a mixture of flour, panko and cornmeal. Put the breaded tomato slices into the air fryer, mist with olive oil cooking spray and air fry until golden and crispy.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 large green tomatoes, cut into slices (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup panko
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Don't slice the tomatoes thin or they could fall apart. Thicker tomato slices work best.
- Be sure to preheat the air fryer before putting the tomatoes on the tray or in the basket.
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Pat the tomatoes dry with paper towels then season with salt and pepper.
- Put the flour into a bowl. Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk in another bowl. Mix the panko and cornmeal together into a third bowl.
- Dip the tomatoes into the flour, then egg and lastly the panko. Put them in the air fryer basket or on the tray. Mist them all over with the olive oil spray.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, turn them over and mist the other side with olive oil cooking spray and continue to cook for about 3 to 4 more minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.