Texas Queso Recipe: An Exceptional Cheese Dip Recipe From the Lone Star State (Kind Of) by Katie Smith
Born and raised in Texas, California became my home this year. Queso is a staple in Texas homes and restaurants, but it's hard to find here. When I get homesick and need some cheese dip in my life, this is my go-to queso recipe. With ground meat, three cheeses and cream, it's a Texas two-step above most recipes. Buy plenty of tortilla chips because you won't be able to stop eating it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey (I used ground turkey)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 16 ounces processed cheese (I used Velveeta)
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chiles, undrained (I used Rotel)
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- pico de gallo, for serving
- fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
- tortilla chips, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Brown the meat in a skillet. Add the taco seasoning packet and following package directions. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the red onion until soft.
- Add the processed cheese and tomatoes with green chiles. Stir until melted.
- Add the pepper jack and white cheddar. Stir until melted.
- Add the meat back into the pot.
- Pour in the heavy cream. Cook until heated through. If too thick, add more heavy cream until desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with pico de gallo and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Tomatoes With Green Chiles $2 & Up
Velveeta $7 & Up
Taco Seasoning Packets $1 & Up
Tortilla Chips $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.