Zwiebelrostbraten Recipe: This One-Pan Austrian Steak Recipe With Crispy Onions Tastes Amazing by 30Seconds Food
Zwiebelrostbraten is an Austrian recipe that can be found in restaurants all across Austria and Germany. The hearty recipe consists of pan-fried steaks in a rich sauce that's topped with fried onions. Serve this easy Zwiebelrostbraten recipe with potatoes, egg noodles or spaetzle.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pound onions, cut into thin rings (about 2 large onions)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 - 1 pound sirloin steak or top round steak, cut in 4 slices and pounded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- dried thyme, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Here's how to make it:
- To make the fried onions, combine the flour and paprika in a small bowl. Heat about a 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet. Put the onion rings into the flour to lightly coat. Cook the onions, stirring, in the hot oil until browned. Remove to a paper towel.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Lightly dust the steaks with some of the remaining flour-paprika mixture. Remove all but a couple tablespoons of oil from the pan that was used to fry the onions. Heat, then add the steaks and cook until browned on both sides and cooked to desired doneness. Remove to a plate.
- To make the sauce, add the chopped onions to the same pan. Cook, stirring, until golden brown and soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Pour in the wine. Bring to a boil, stirring up the brown bits from the bottom. Add the beef broth and simmer about 15 to 20 minutes. Whisk in the flour and season with salt and pepper. Add the thyme, if using. Add the butter and stir until melted. Taste and re-season, if needed.
- Put the steaks back into the sauce and cook briefly to reheat. Top the steaks with the fried onions.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
Beef Broth $2 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.