This Turkish Stuffed Eggplant Recipe (Karniyarik) Does Not Disappoint by 30Seconds Food
This easy Karniyarik recipe is traditionally served with rice. If you can't find small eggplants, use fewer larger ones.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
- 6 small eggplants (Italian eggplants, if you can find them)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup hot water
Here's how to make it:
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Put them into a bowl of cold water (a large bowl or baking pan works best for this) with 1 teaspoon of salt. Let them sit for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Add the ground beef and cook until browned and cooked through. Add the tomato and cook about 2 more minutes. Stir in the 1 tablespoon tomato paste and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the eggplants and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat the 1/4 cup olive oil in a skillet. Add the dry eggplants and cook until browned on all sides and softened, about 7 to 10 minutes. Put them on paper towels to drain a minute, then put them into a baking dish.
- Divide the meat mixture between the eggplants.
- In a small bowl, combine the 5 tablespoons tomato paste and hot water. Mix well. Pour the mixture over the eggplants.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.