An Italian Grandma’s Old-fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe With a Secret Ingredient by Ann Marie Patitucci
My mom, whom the grandkids call Mimi, is the traditional Italian grandmother in many ways, including the way she demonstrates her love for her family through cooking and baking for them. She’ll tell you that she’s a better cook than baker, but her desserts are fantastic, too. (Check out her Italian butter balls recipe.)
This oatmeal raisin cookie recipe is my favorite, by far. These cookies are so good that I have trouble truly appreciating anyone else’s oatmeal cookies (sorry!) because I love my mom’s so much. I’m happy to pass on the easy recipe to you so you can enjoy it, too. Check out the secret ingredient (coconut)!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Total Time: 20 to 22 minutes
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked oats (Mimi prefers Quaker brand)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Here's how to make it:
- Beat brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and milk in a large bowl until smooth.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a different bowl. Add to egg mixture. Beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add oats. Mix well.
- Add coconut, raisins and walnuts. Mix well.
- Drop from a teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cookie Sheets $8 & Up
Light Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Oats $2 & Up
Raisins $3 & Up
Coconut $2 & Up
Walnuts $3 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.